Valerian (Valeriana officinalis)
Valerian is a hardy perennial clumping herb that doesn't mind its feet being wet. Roots have a interesting odor. Some say it smells like dirty socks. Roots are the primary part of the herb used for medicine.
- sun-part shade
- well draining moist retention soil
- moderate water
- harvest: roots (preferred) & leaves
How to use?
- infusions (30 min)
- dried teas
- harvest roots in fall after die back or early spring
- leaves are good to add to a compost pile
- root smell like dirty socks